About Us

History

    • Former teachers and Principal Eggerding

      Former teachers and Principal Eggerding's wife at Class of 1966 50th Reunion

The History of Lutheran South

As leaders in Christian education, Lutheran churches in the United States operate more schools than any other Protestant denomination. In Saint Louis, secondary education began in 1946 when Lutheran High School opened at the old Mary Institute building at Lake and Waterman in the city under the leadership of first principal, Paul Lange. In that first year, Lutheran High School was home to more than 200 students in grades 9 and 10, adopting the name "Crusaders" and the colors of maroon and gold.

Soon needs were idenfied for schools in other areas of St. Louis. After the opening of original Lutheran High School, the need was identified for a school in the south area of St. Louis. Lutheran High School South began in the fall of 1957, with the first graduating class in 1961. In 1965, the original Crusaders at Lake and Waterman moved to their new location: Lutheran High School North at 5401 Lucas and Hunt Road. 

In the early 1980s the Lutheran South campus was doubled in size to about nineteen acres and new athletic fields and facilities were added (football, baseball, softball, and soccer fields, an all-weather track and tennis courts). In December, 1985, a new addition, including a new library, multipurpose room, guidance center, and four new classrooms, was dedicated. Then in 2003, with the acquisition of two parcels of land adjacent to the campus, LHSS added new fields for baseball, softball, field hockey, and soccer, as well as additional parking.
 
In 2008, Lutheran South added the new Lancer Stadium with artificial turf field for football, soccer, and field hockey, and 8-lane track, lights for night games and events, new bleachers, and a pavilion with concession stands and restrooms.

Lutheran High School North and Lutheran High School South are united in ministry in the Lutheran High School Association of St. Louis.With generous support from more than 60 churches that comprise the Association, more than four thousand alumni and donors and a multi-million dollar endowment, Lutheran South is prepared to uphold its reputation for excellence for generations to come